Blue Krait- Catching and Relocating to safety

One night while I was walking around my Moo Baan in Chiang Mai Thailand, I noticed a small, yellow and black snake curled up by the side of the road. Snakes were not a surprising sight in and around neighborhoods like mine, but they don't show up too often either. Excited, I walked over to get a closer look. Due to its yellow and black coloration, I identified this snake as a Yellow Krait. As you read in the title, there is nothing about a Yellow Krait. After scooping up the snake using two nets, and carrying it back home to some better lighting, I realized that the yellow stripes were actually white. After doing some quick research, first on the Yellow Krait, and secondly, to identify this mystery species, I realized that I had found a Blue Krait (how this black and white snake got that name I am not entirely sure). 


Now if the snake had been a Yellow Krait like I had thought it was, it still would have been a very dangerous snake to deal with, and can potentially deliver a deadly bite if antivenom is not delivered. However, the Blue Krait is one of the most venomous (the third most venomous snake in the world) and deadly snakes in the world. I was a little more nervous, especially after I learned that 50% of people who are bitten by Blue Kraits die even after being administered the anti-venom. I kept the snake on my back porch for the night, with a resolve to transport it to an area free of people, so that it wouldn't end up dead like many other snakes encountered by people. 


Early the next morning, I got on my bike carrying the snake container. I pedaled out of my gated Moo Baan, and to a field and river right next to it. The snake was much more likely to survive out of the populated neighborhood, and people were less likely to get bitten as well. After taking a little bit more time to appreciate the beauty and grace of this animal, I let it go and continued to watch as it slithered into a near by crevice in the ground. Me being me, I couldn't help touching its tail (which was very dangerous, and I would never condone anyone else doing the same) before it disappeared. Perhaps not my brightest moment but it completed the magic of the moment. 


I was glad to have the opportunity to spend some time watching this snake, and to relocate this snake to safety, further away from people. I was surprised by the docile nature of this snake, who would much rather hide and run than bite and fight. However, I would in no way advise anyone to approach a dangerous snake, especially if you don't know what it is, or how venomous it is. 

Comments